Kampagnen«Unite Against Racism» at the UEFA EURO 2008 TM
At the UEFA EURO 2008TM the FARE network looked forward to a tournament where messages against racism, discrimination and for more respect, and activities to engage fans, were prominent.
The initiative at the UEFA European Championships was headlined Unite Against Racism. The programme which has been developed in close partnership with UEFA, was launched at an opening day reception on Saturday 7th June, at the Hilton Hotel in Basel. (Details)
UEFA UEFA President Michel Platini lead the involvement of the football family together with other prominent players, NGOs and fans.
Over the three weeks of the event the Unite Against Racism activities featured:
- A specially commissioned TV spot shown at all matches
- Pitch Pitch side advertising boards with the “No to Racism” message at every game
- Brandied captain’s armbands
- 'Unite Against Racism' will appear on steward bibs as well as substitute player's bibs
- Every ticket to feature a Unite Against Racism message - over 1 million in total
The The campaign reached its climax at the semi-finals in Vienna and Basel, where the four team captains will deliver an anti-racism message to be beamed into homes across the world.
Outside of the stadiums the ‘StreetKick’ game toured five host cities with a programme of fans and ethnic minority communities taking part. (Details)
To support this, FARE used its expertise with a series of monitors at games. A multilingual hotline was advertised alongside an email address to report racism and discrimination.
FARE has also been working with the Football Supporters International (FSI) in a UEFA backed partnership to develop activities for travelling supporters to Austria and Switzerland.
Fans’ Embassies were set up in key areas of each host city and there were major information and meeting points for fans throughout the tournament.
The Unite Against Racism campaign at UEFA EURO 2008TM was carried out by the Football Against Racism in Europe (FARE) network in partnership with UEFA and with support of the international players union FIFPro.
In the Host Cities Zürich, Berne, Basel and Geenva there were fallowing activities:
- The stop-racism-kiosk (Details)
- The peacecamp of NCBI (Details)
- In Geneva (Place du Rhône & Plains de Plainpalais) LICRA is organzising a streetkick torunement with anti-racist messages in cooperation with FARE. (Details)
- In Liestal will be a festival of the transcultrual football tournement «Colorful plays well». (Details)
You found us here:
7th June to 14th June
Zurich (Limmatquai 48)
13th June to 18th June
Basel (Claraplatz & Messeplatz)
7th June to 11th June and 19the June to 26th June
Geneva (Place du Rhône & Place de Plainpalais)
6th June to 15th June
Liestal (9th Stadion/Bubendorf)
20th June to 22th June